Garden Variey Wisdom
Inspiration Collections Blog Friends Yard Yetis
Yellow Wellies

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Happy Birthday To You Except I Have The Flu


I

was planning

on sending you some birthday prose, 

filled with clever similes and metaphors.

Complicated rhymes and sugar sweet phrases. 

I started like this:




You are like a piece of sunny Key Lime pie.

Excuse me. Food. No.No.No. 

Your smile like a cherry atop a hot fudge sundae. 

Oh dear. More food. Excuse me. No. No. and NO.


i am shaking and fevered 

a case of the chills

and i think i have lost

my superb writing skills


hallucinations and quivers 

under layers of clothes

i imagine your birthday

as my eyes slowly close


but as its the flu

i am up up in a flash

and down in a hurry

toss me out with the trash


i would have i would have

written you such a song

a birthday sonata

to sing all day long...,


but instead there's a humming

inside of my head

a beautiful lyric

someone else wrote instead


a song with great vintage

like a finely aged wine

is circling my brain

and chilling my spine


for the words are so simple

so tender and sweet

i've sent then instead

of my own wordy treat


may you always remember

in these words on the page

that you have my heart

any day, any age....



I have included the lyrics to this tune, originally recorded by the McGuire Sisters, but performed here on the Lawrence Welk Show in 1958, by the Lennon Sisters.  I would post the video here, but I think Mr. Welk does the intro greater justice than I...so click the link...give a listen and then blow out your candles...


May you always walk in sunshine
 
Slumber warm when night winds blow

May you always live in laughter 

For a smile becomes you so


May good fortune find your doorway

May the bluebird sing your song

May no trouble travel your way

May no worry stay too long


May your heartaches be forgotten

May no tears be spilled

May old acquaintances be remembered

And your cup of kindness filled


And may you always be a dreamer

May your wildest dream come true

May you find someone to love 

As much as I love you.


(May your heartaches be forgotten)

(May no tears be spilled)

May old acquaintances be remembered

And your cup of kindness filled


And may you always be a dreamer

May your wildest dream come true

May you find someone to love

As much as I love you. 






And of THAT doesn't cut it...how about one of my own originals, a blast from the past from one of my better days that made you smile as you blew out the candles. 





Adirondack Chairs