Garden Variey Wisdom
Inspiration Collections Blog Friends Yard Yetis
Yellow Wellies

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Numbers Make Me Nervous

What

If

There

Is

Really

Only

One

Way

To

Go...







ONE. ONE. ONE.


One of this.

One of that.

One and one only.

I think I need at least TWO.

Up AND down.

In AND out.

Short AND tall.

Fat AND skinny.

Hot AND cold.

Small AND large.

Night AND day.

Black AND white.

On AND off.


Then at least I'd have a CHOICE.

This OR that.

One OR the other.

You OR me.

Left OR right.

Stay OR go.

Keep OR throw away.

Walk OR run.

ONE....................................................................................................TWO

But what about the stuff in between.

The stuff that doesn't fit. 

In between ONE and TWO.

I'd be stuck. 

In the middle.

What if ONE is wrong...

and TWO is right?

Or TWO is wrong 

and ONE is right?

What if I make the wrong choice. 

Did ONE but not TWO.

Chose TWO but not ONE. 

I might get bored sitting between ONE and TWO. 

Itchy. 

Back and forth. 

Forth and back.

Where would I keep my crayons?

My blue and green and yellow. 

My tastes, smells, sounds and shapes

could only be

sweet or sour,

good or bad, 

loud or soft,

circle or square?

My neck might get stiff looking down at my shoes

or looking up at the clouds. 

My legs only good to run or walk. 

No skipping or hopping. 

My eyes only open or shut. 

No blinking or winking. 

I might wear out the grass

walking between ONE and TWO. 

Stuck. 

In a rut.

How many pieces are in ONE?

My Mom says I have to share my ONE candy bar with you, so I broke it. ONE for you and ONE for me. Only ONE isn't ONE anymore. Now ONE is TWO. No, this is HALF. Part of ONE. ONE broken into TWO parts. Even if MY half is slightly bigger than yours, because I didn't REALLY want to share at all, MY half is just a bit bigger than 0 which is NOTHING at all so...

1/2>0

If MOM wanted candy too,

she says I would have needed THREE equal pieces and

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THREE in this world of ONE and TWO.

So now there are all these pieces of candy that with some glue or tape could be put back together into ONE, but it is very messy work and I think Mom said something about FRACTIONS...
and my mind is stuck on ONE and TWO.

Okay, 

so now I am pacing back and forth
and feeling rather anxious and claustrophobic,
 moving from Point A
 to Point B to Point A to Point B. 

My shoes have holes in the soles and my TWO feet hurt, 
so I am going to sit down and take off my shoes, 
for just ONE minute. 

Wait just a minute. 

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. 
Toes.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. 
Fingers. 

And outside my window...FOUR trees, with ELEVEN branches and SIX birds perched on the limbs while SEVEN squirrels chase each other across the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9........blades of grass...

I ran out of fingers and toes. 

More than ONE.

More than TWO.

More than I can count.

Let me at 'em. 

Whole numbers. 

Prime numbers. 

Fibonacci Numbers. 

From ONE to TWO is....................................

Infinity. 

I'll deal with that later. 

I should have trusted my mother and shared my candy with her. 

She knew. She knew there is more than ONE or TWO.

She knew there was PLENTY to go around. 

That it is safe to share. 

That there ARE choices. 

That CHOICES are fun. 

That NUMBERS are just CHOICES. 

That NUMBERS are for EVERYONE 
and EVERYTHING is welcome for consideration. 

Mathematically speaking,
I'll need a bigger house to let all of the possibilities IN...
or maybe...

what I need to do is take myself OUT...

INTO the world of INFINITE possibilities.


where there is plenty of room for ALL of my crayons
and lots and lots of wonderful choices. 


My mother said so. 




Adirondack Chairs