Garden Variey Wisdom
Inspiration Collections Blog Friends Yard Yetis
Yellow Wellies

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Compilation Tapes An Old Fashioned Way To Say I Love You

How To
Make A First Impression

Last

A

Lifetime...





Compilation tapes. 

I am hearkening back to the movie "High Fidelity" circa A.D. 2000, to a scene where the main character is desperate to woo his lost love. He is up to his eyeballs in musical choices, for as he says, "Now the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all, you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing. 

Compilation tapes. 

I wonder. 

Do people do that sort of thing anymore?

Shuffle through song after song on their playlists to create the perfect score?

Songs to listen to when you are sitting in traffic. 

A concert in your honor. 

Hit Play. Pause. Think of me, because I am thinking of you. 

In my last blog, I spoke of books, books, books. The written word. 

A bibliography of my favorite authors. 

But what if you are a man or a woman of few words. The type to get tongue tied when feelings rise to the surface and need to be expressed. You may stutter and stumble only to find you've missed the moment. 

Fear not. For while there are writers of many genre, there are a few I forgot to mention. 

The lyricists. The musical poets. With a simple message. 

I am your music. You are my song. Play me. 

If I slip off my wedding band, inside there is an inscription from my man of few words...that read..."Only the beginning"...a line from the lyrics by the band Chicago.

The lyrics tell the tale. 

"Beginnings"

“When I'm with you, it doesn't matter where we are, or what we're doing

I'm with you, that's all that matters

Time passes much too quickly when we're together laughing

I wish I could sing it to you, oh no

I wish I could sing it to you

Mostly I'm silent, mm-hm-hm-hm...Silent, la la la la la

Never think of the right words to say

When I kiss you, I feel a thousand different feelings

The color of chills all over my body, yeah, yeah, yeah

And when I feel them, I quickly try to decide which one

I should try to put into words, oh no, try to put into words..”


Vintage Vinyl Love Songs. I walk down the hallway into the basement, and sort through the box of vintage vinyl albums setting on the floor, and am holding the album covers, and the music fills me up all over again. For here in hand, are my husband’s love letters. The words he thought he could never say but did.

“Cherish” by the Association

“Cherish is the word I use to describe


All the feeling that I have hiding here for you inside


You don't know how many times I've wished that I had told you


You don't know how many times I've wished that I could hold you


You don't know how many times I've wished that I could


Mold you into someone who could


Cherish me as much as I cherish you

Perish is the word that more than applies


To the hope in my heart each time I realize


That I am not gonna be the one to share your dreams


That I am not gonna be the one to share your schemes


That I am not gonna be the one to share what


Seems to be the life that you could


Cherish as much as I do yours

Oh I'm beginning to think that man has never found


The words that could make you want me


That have the right amount of letters, just the right sound


That could make you hear, make you see
......."


Or Stephen Bishop, from his album "Careless", the song...

"One More Night"

“Everyone keeps telling me

I'm something I'm not

They fill me with questions
that tear me apart

But through it all
it was you who pulled me out

So please don't leave me now

Just give me one more night
to hold you

One more night

Give me one more night
to have you near

There's a man at the train stop
with tears in his eyes

It reminds me of so long ago
when I was able to cry

Slip away and laugh along
with anyone who needs someone blue

CHORUS

What can I say
to make you stay?

I'd do anything

I'd give everything
to have just one more night...”

Pure Prairie League...and their song...

"Let Me Love You Tonight"

“Let me love you tonight


There's a million stars in the sky


Let me love you tonight


I'll make everything all right

When you find out how good love can be


You're so lost when it's such a free

They say once in your life


You find someone who's right


Someone who loves you like me

Let me love you tonight
..."


I could go on and on...Loggins and Messina..."Nobody But You"...

So before you sit here, picturing me as a prehistoric relic, trust me, I know that discography works, and I am not alone. 

You know there is someone.

Someone you love. 

Your love has always been a song. 

Fire up your MP3 player. Send a link to You Tube. Reprogram someone's ipod. Or in my case, plug in the turntable, slip the vinyl from its paper sleeve, lift the needle up and over and take a spin. 

I am your music.

You are my song. 

Play me.




And as a special treat for all you oldies but goodies out there, and as inspiration for the younger crowd...

Here are the links to the songs above on You Tube...

Just to give you a head start...




Oh...and if you are wondering what I would start off my musical love letter with...it would be...




Adirondack Chairs