Garden Variey Wisdom
Inspiration Collections Blog Friends Yard Yetis
Yellow Wellies

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Consider Me Your Bookmark



July 2014...Europe


Bought in Koblenz...

Read in...

Cologne
Bonn
Brussels
Luxembourg
Bruges

Finished on the train from Bruges to Luxembourg



I love this. I absolutely love this. I opened up a book I discovered in a second hand bookstore, by an author I dearly love, and inside the front page an inscription so unexpected, yet so very personal. I felt as though we had met somewhere, in a time in the past or were yet to meet on a street corner some day in the future, total strangers linked only by our love of Cecelia Ahern. 

I, whose feet have never left my homeland, sat beside my new friend on the train between Bruges and Luxembourg, sharing the pages of a story tenderly linking us together. 


What is it now, that word that signifies an important trend on the Internet...a Meme?? 

Well, I would like very much to start a book revolution. 

A literary MEME... 

Can you imagine it?

I can. I do. And I want to start it here. 

Right here and right now. 

From now on...from this day forward...whenever you read a book...then pass it on...either through leaving it in a book depository or in a second hand store...

Leave Your Mark

Leave a Love Letter for the Reader to Follow...

Leave bread crumbs on the trail for another to follow....

Let someone know where you read this book...when you started it and when you finished it...

Leave no opinion...no review...no rating of 1 to 5...

Just introduce yourself and then head for the exit...

But be sure to mark an “X” on the trail...to fellow travelers...so that they feel connected to other bibliophiles...

We never need to agree on the content or the context...it is simply an act of kindness to say...I have been here...right where you are...and I am thinking of you...

What more can there be than this gesture of kindness...this anonymous greeting to a fellow literary traveler???

I READ THIS BOOK...PERIOD.

And now you are reading it too and I did not want to think of you alone out there...so I left a light on. I cradled you in my arms next to me on a train or a boat or a plane...simply to say I am here with you. 

I am here with you. 

I have spent a lifetime reading books and magazines and I have never felt so surprised and deeply touched by the simple message left behind...for me..from you...

From now on...I plan to leave a message for you...

So look for me just inside the title pages...and I’ll be looking for you...

A Meme...ummm let’s see...a whatchamcallit...



Love...





Adirondack Chairs